Thursday, July 10, 2008

VBAC: A Survivor's Story


As all of you have heard by now, Joshua has arrived! I had resigned myself to the fact that I would be having another c-section on Monday July 7th. I had done all the things you could try to naturally induce myself before that date and had started and stopped contractions for days. So with the c-section date in such close proximity I told myself there was nothing more I could do and had come to terms with the inevitable. Well, Joshua apparently wasn't feeling the same way.

Heath, Caleb and I had gone to my aunts house for a fourth of July celebration. We left about 8pm for home figuring Caleb had a long day and was ready for bed (which he was, he fell asleep in the car on the way home). I was having some contractions but it was nothing out of the ordinary so I cleaned the house a bit and laid down for a rest. About 10pm I woke up from a contraction which had never happened before so I felt slightly encouraged. Still not ready to accept the fact that this might be true labor I went back to sleep. At 11pm I was woken up again by a contraction and thought that maybe this was it. When I felt some discomfort from the contraction I stood up to see if that would make it go away and as soon as I did I knew I was in real labor. My contraction intensified. I still wasn't quite ready to wake up Heath so I called our doula Jessica and told her she may want to start on her way (she was coming from Sag Harbor). About 12am I woke Heath, who then called the doctor and then the doula again to tell her to meet us straight at the hospital. We reached St. Charles hospital, (which I like to refer to as the Hilton, they are just the greatest there), and found out that I was four centimeters dilated. So this was it!

Our journey began at the hospital and 1am and continued on till 10:35am when Joshua David arrived on the scene. I did have an epidural which took most of the edge off but there was still some discomfort, that is until 10 centimeters when I could have sworn my epidural had been replaced with pitocin. Once it was time to push I was all business. They said that women average pushing a first baby out in about 3 hours and that just wasn't good enough for me. When I was allowed to push I did so with such gusto that I broke blood vessels all over my face and in both eyes, but an hour and a half later I was done. Joshua was out in a flash. Once they were able to see a quarter of his head it only took about 3 pushes more. I have to say that although I looked like I had been punched in the face and lost so much blood I needed a transfusion, the recovery is still better than if I had had a c-section.

Our doula Jess was invaluable in the labor process and our mid-wife Michele was a God sent. Anyone attempting a vbac should feel confident in their ability to do so. I was told by one doctor that I would never be able to deliver a baby bigger than 8 pounds 5 ounces, I was just too small. Well, to that doctor I would just like to say, I'd like to introduce you to my son Joshua David Terry: 8pounds 11ounces, 21 1/4 inches long!



5 comments:

Connie said...

That last line made tears come to my eyes. Way to go, Miss Jenn! I am SO proud of you both for setting your goal and succeeding. To say nothing of the absolutely adorable little boy you brought into our family!

XXXXOOOO

The National Scribe said...

well I didn't mean to make anyone cry but I think it is pretty amazing myself.

I can't believe I was able to do it but I had such great support next to me. I could not have done it without Heath, Jess or Michele. Heath first and foremost of course.

thedollymama said...

Way to go, Jenn! I am so glad it worked out the way you wanted it to!!

Em and Jonah said...

Congratulations on Joshua's safe arrival!!!!!!!!!!
Looking forward to seeing lots more of your growing family.

Elliott Allstars said...

You go girl! Congratulations to you and Heath and Caleb! Can't wait to meet that new cutie...we got the card today he is soooo precious!