Thursday, November 20, 2008

Public Outcry

I am going a bit mad and I need some opinions from all my loyal readers. To all of you out there who at one point in your lives have or have had two children: how did you do it? How did you get through the day or string of days with two children who are either sick or just clingy? How did you dive into pile of overflowing laundry, washing, drying and folding? Stay enough on top of your house to have it not implode on you? To walk into your house and not want to hide your head in shame at the amount of clutter all around but still can't find energy to do anything about it? To be so overloaded with errands that even when you accomplish a few there are still ten more waiting in its place? How do you handle hurricane husband that comes in a night and destroys any amount of order you were able to establish that day (not a dis on you Heath, just a fact of live. Love you, honey :)) And then, how do you keep your mind from wandering to the person who has more children than you and seems to be handling it all just fine?

I can step back, take a breath, realize I am not wonder woman, and tackle one thing at a time but in a world where things are always happening the list will, in reality, never get shorter. Where do you find the time to devote to you? To remember just a small portion of the things you like to do, and maybe find time to do it, even if it is as simple as showering alone? This is a feeling I know that people go through, all the time, but having two kids need your attention all the time... a baby who won't give you a break and a preschooler just being a preschooler in need of your attention too. What do you do? Real advice moms, that's what I'm looking for. Wait it out isn't working... let him cry gives me a headache and wears on my patients for the other one. Give me something- those of you with this experience under your belt- that will get me through to the next impossible day. Or maybe just tell me a time you were as frazzled as I was, because although I know we all go through it, it is great to hear about it and solidify the fact that I am not alone. Thank you.

8 comments:

thedollymama said...

The short answer is: it WILL get better. Just keep your eyes on the prize!

The National Scribe said...

what is the prize...sanity?

Connie said...

One foot in front of the other! Let go of trying to get everything done, because you can't! Anyway, you'd just have to do it all again. Like you said, the list will never get shorter! And don't be fooled by that woman who seems to handle it all. She's in the same boat as you, even if it doesn't look like it. And, to be perfectly blunt, it's really hard to find time for yourself. Some days (or weeks) you may not be able to. Just learn to relish even a few quiet moments when they come around and see if you can carve out 10-15 minutes a few times a day where you can be you. As far as telling you about a time when I felt the same way, my hand would be in a cramp by the time I finished typing about all those many times! Every mother knows exactly how you are feeling. You've got the hardest job IN THE WORLD and there's no getting around it. It probably won't make you feel better right now, but Amy is right. It will get better! And when you look back on it, you won't believe how quickly these days went by. And, I bet you'll even miss them...

the editor said...

Jenn, they're right. Give yourself some time- you haven't had two kids for very long, you're still getting used to it. "It will get better" should really be a mantra so that we remember it. And then when they don't need you you wish that they did. You're doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

Put one fire out a time. You can't do it all. By the way you are doing a great job! And yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Em and Jonah said...

We love you Jenn and I know you are doing a great job! I have my moments and I only have child.

Em and Jonah said...

you see. . . that should say I only have 1 child.

The National Scribe said...

lol, you know, i read what you wrote first emma, and i didn't even see a mistake :) thanks for you comment